Passing Opinion Off As Fact Since 2009

Passing Opinion Off As Fact Since 2009

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Retraction

Right around when She & Him Volume II was released, I started bad mouthing the project. To quote myself via Twitter, “Does the world need 2 She & Him volumes? Can't we just listen to Patsy Cline and watch 500 Days of Summer on mute?”

Now, many months later, I finally re-listened to the aforementioned Volume and I feel like a wrongheaded jerk. Maybe, I was acting out of jealousy, for Zooey had recently gotten married, but my assessment was FAR too hasty. The fact is a bunch of these songs are pleasant, regardless of bangs and doe-eyes. Most importantly, Zooey is actually, at times, a special singer. She does not simply go through the motions - she actually goes through the emotions. Take a listen to the album’s standout, “Home.” I’ll wait…

You can actually here Zooey smile as she sings the refrain. Smiling! Actual audible happiness recorded for the listener to empathize! No Auto-tune. No American Idol belting for belting sake. No Beyonce aimlessly singing runs without any regard to the melody. To answer the question I posed by my famed* Tweet: Yes, the world needs 2 She & Him volumes, now more than ever.

*Not famed

No comments:

Post a Comment