Passing Opinion Off As Fact Since 2009

Passing Opinion Off As Fact Since 2009

Thursday, October 28, 2010

"By Your Side" (my blog needs mp3s)

Lots of blogs include music. I felt like a lazy good for nothin' by including only youtube embeds . Nothin', I am good for, no more...

I decided to use this opportunity to examine my relationship to the song "By Your Side" by Sade. The song was featured on their overwhelmingly Sade-titled album, Lover's Rock that was released in the Fall of 2000. Despite its popularity at that time, it was not until the Fall of 2003 that I first heard the smooth jam. What happened in the Fall of 2003?

Well, none other than Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro got hitched, and their first dance as man and wife was to, you guessed it, Sade's "By Your Side." Being a big fan of the show*, I deemed it reasonable that I should "purchase" the song.

In the seven year's since it just sat in my iTunes unobtrusively, getting only a handful of listens. Yet, in that same time period I have collected five other versions of the song, which seems like a lot considering it is not a song I particularly love.

Though, I realized while writing this post that there was something to listening to all of them in succession. It is a aggressively sentimental song that lends itself to heartfelt performances. Two of favorite artists ever, Ted Leo and Justin Vernon (here in Gayngs but usually from Bon Iver), each contribute a version and I get real pleasure out of hearing the two sing such a simply loving tune.

Without further ado, the same song six times...


Sade - By Your Side




Ted Leo - By Your Side



Gayngs - By Your Side



Sade - By Your Side (Neptunes Remix)



Beachwood Sparks - By Your Side



Ok, I won't lie, this last one is not a cover at all but the sentiment is the same and it is damn good.

CocoRosie - By Your Side




*I am serious. I really thought they were going to be the ones who made it. Maybe I was blinded from my own relationship at the time. Either way, they lasted less than three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment