Passing Opinion Off As Fact Since 2009

Passing Opinion Off As Fact Since 2009

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hey guys, you know what are great? iPods!

Seriously, how amazing are iPods? For example, my iPod has ALL of my favorite songs on it.

I was “famously” slow to adopt the technology – I resisted until my Sony discman broke 4.5 years ago – but once I received my 30GB with my name and phone number embossed (in the case of a 2nd thought having petty thief), I have never looked back*.



Case in point, this morning I accidently selected “Shuffle Songs” instead of “Now Playing” and boy did the floodgates of awesome open upon me. Here is the playlist that followed:


Broken Social Scene “Lover’s Spit”

A prototypical BSS bizarro-world sex jam ostensibly about blow jobs. Think of it like D’Angelo’s “Untitled” for people who listen to “This American Life”.


John Legend “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood”

A super-great live recording of the Nina Simone (The Animals) song, which I thought I removed from my iPod two years ago. Praise the fates that that was not the case.


Annie – “Heartbeat”

The indie-dance classic that I have listened to maybe twice since Christina Kim put it a on a two-disc mix after I told her I might love electronic music. I was wrong. Still, this morning I realized I should really listen to this song way more.


The Beatles “For No One”

I have 146 Beatles songs on my iPod and as a result this song completely fell off my radar. I have listened to it a total of 0 times. The song is near flawless and further proof why Paul was so overrated that he is now the most underrated Beatle.


Newsies Cast – “The World Will Know”

It might not be “King of New York” or “Seize the Day” but any Newsies song is a wonderful song to drive to work to. Especially such a triumphant one with the geniusly old-time New York sung “we got plent of rotten fruit and poifect aim”.


Death Cab for Cutie – “What Sara Said”

Possibly, DCFC’s most kick-to-the stomachly sad song. Highlighted by the “Who’s going to watch you die” refrain. Only my iPod would think to put such a song in the same mix as “Lover’s Spit”. Maybe it is trying to tell me with this mix to live life to the fullest while there is still life to be fully lived. Or maybe it is just a little cube filled with sprockets, wires, and a little hamster on a spinning wheel, either way it was a fantastic start to the morning. Thanks iPods!


You can download this inspiring mix here but sssssshhhhhhhhhh don't tell the infamously bad at sharing Beatles.


*I am aware that my iPod is now a technological relic as well and I should have at least 12 iPads by now. Ever since I learned what an early-adopter was in Markting class my junior year, I knew it was not in my cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment